Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Books and Book Chapters
- Edwin M. Stanton, the Inverted Pyramid, and Information Control. In The Civil War and the press [electronic resource] / David B. Sachsman, S. Kittrell Rushing, Debra Reddin van Tuyll, editors ; with Ryan P. Burkholder.
- Secretaries of War, Navy and Defense: Ensuring National Security.
- The Lincoln Assassination: The Evidence. (Available in Google Scholar) by William C Edwards and Edward Steers. The section that discusses Stanton's role in the immediate investigation, his ordering of a military tribunal, and his co-opting of the executive priviledge discussed in this book.
- In Memorium: Edwin McMasters Stanton. His Life and Work.
- U.S. Leadership in Wartime: Clashes, Controversy, and Compromise. by Spencer C Tucker, Ed.
- Life and public services of Edwin M. Stanton by George C. Gorham, with portraits, maps, and facsimiles of important letters. E467.1.S8 G6
- Edwin McMasters Stanton, the autocrat of rebellion, emancipation, and reconstruction ...by Frank Abial Flower ... E467.1.S8 F6
- 72 INLJ 927
- 47 S.D. L. Rev. 85 (2002) To Preserve These Rights: The Constitution and National Emergencies; Bucklin, Steven J.
Articles you might want to request through ILL
- Donn Piatt. Edwin M Stanton II. North American Review. Vol # 355 Year 1886 Pages 540-548
- Reminiscences of the Hon. Edwin M. Stanton, Secretary of War. Albert E. H. Johnson. Records of the Columbia Historical Society, Washington, D.C., Vol. 13, (1910), pp. 69-97 (article consists of 30 pages) Published by: Historical Society of Washington, D.C.
- Beauregard, Erving E. "Edwin McMasters Stanton: Another Look." Lincoln Herald 97 (Fall 1995): 116–23.
Website and articles online