1. The Library of Congress will have primary resources.
a. Search in the American Memory Collection.
i. You may find letters, Bills, and newspaper articles
2. The National Archives will have primary resources.
a. Images, original documents. Etc.
3. State Archives may have some information & resources.
a. If your person was born in NY state, try their state archives online
b. You can also browse this listing of repositories
4. Foundations and Historical Societies with a website presence will have some primary and some seconday resources.
a. Do a google or Yahoo search
5. Google Books will provide some resources.
a. Diaries are being digitized/scanned and placed online
b. Other letters and things may also be available
6. Google Scholar may have some citations to articles which you will then need to request from ILL.
a. Do this after you have researched our own databases and collections!!!