How to analyze one of these cases:
Remember that you must tailor your analysis to suit the specific issue discussed in your case. Each case is different. The information below is just a set of general guidelines. A case study will usually present a factual account of what happened to a business or industry over a period of time, or during a particular crisis, such as Covid-19. It chronicles the events or challenges faced, that managers had to deal with, such as changes in the competitive environment, and usually outlines the company's response, sometimes using a theory or framework as part of the case.
- Review the facts for your audience
- Describe the problem(s) faced, including internal and external factors, management, etc.
- Describe the solutions implemented by the company, or proposed by the author(s)
- Identify environmental opportunities and/or threats that the company addressed or should have addressed, such as the Abilene Paradox, sudden changes in market forces or supply chain disruption, (such as caused by Covid-19)
- What was the company's competitive strategy - differentiation, low cost, focus, or other....
- Analyze how the company utilized business management practices/tools/theories
- Discuss the nature of the company’s business-level and corporate strategy, and then analyze its structure and control systems.For example, have separate sections on any important conceptual tool used, such as Deming's Total Quality Management, or Porter’s five forces model as part of your analysis of the environment in which the company operated.
- Did the company's strategy change over time? How and why has the company's strategy changed over time? What is the claimed rationale for any changes?
- Make recommendations that utilize your analysis.
- Propose other models or decisions the company could have made for a better or stronger outcome or
- Argue why the methods chosen were the best one(s), based on your analysis, and how the company came out ahead or with a competitive advantage because of the way the company addressed the problem in the case.