Narrow Topic from a Broad Topic and Create Research Question
- Think about a broad topic you are interested in.
- Focus on a particular aspect of the topic.
- Narrow down the focused topic.
- Develop a research question from the narrowed down topic.
- Your paper will answer the research question that you develop - search for information to answer your research question.
See example below on how to take a broad topic all the way through a research question:
Acid Rain in the United States
What can the United States do to prevent acid rain?
Types of Research Questions
- What are the differences with juvenile crime rates when looking at both industrialized and non-industrialized societies?
- Cause and Effect
- What are the causes and effects of beach erosion along the Chesapeake Bay?
- How much television do High School students in the honor program wach?
Research Question Criteria
- Open-ended (Cannot answer with a yes or no)
- Addresses and issue
- Able to take a stand on
Important: Narrow your topic for a more interesting & scholarly paper.
Locate Main Concepts
- What are the main concepts in the research question?
- The main concepts are the terms that you search for information with.
- Example: What can the United States do to prevent acid rain?
- Main Concept 1: United States
- Main Concept 2: prevent
- Main Concept 3: acid rain
Keywords & Similar Words
- United States (America, U.S.)
- Prevent (prevention, stop, avert)
- Acid Rain (acid precipitation, air pollution)